Saturday, February 7, 2009

Another frustrating shopping experience

My youngest daughter has decided to be a vegan. She has been an ovo-lacto vegetarian for 10 years. Anyway, I’m trying to be supportive and keep food on hand that she can quickly eat without much preparation due to her busy school schedule. I’ve been experimenting with new vegan recipes and have been looking for spring roll wrappers, I found them today at a small local grocery store. Unfortunately they are heavily packaged in plastic and are imported from Viet Nam! My reason for going to this store in the first place is they have locally grown fruit and vegetables at a very reasonable price and then I buy the Vietnamese wrappers. I will keep looking for a more local alternative. We have a large Asian community nearby so the next time I’m in that area I will check their stores.

One more impact lowering behavior: start using a French press again for making coffee. No filters to buy or throw away or compost.

I am researching homemade laundry soap recipes as well as shampoo and conditioner.

No comments: